Saturday 16 January 2016

Positive thoughts and positive results.

Teaching can be pretty chaotic and stressful. Even if I have taught a course before, I'm always looking to improve a lesson and adapt it to the students in my class. There is always something that needs to be done (planning a lesson; creating an assessment; developing an activity; meeting with colleagues to plan an activity, assessment, lesson; giving extra-help; coaching; etc.) And each day is different - you never know what might come across my desk on a given day. This busy work day can be draining and very tiring but being able to stay positive can make even the busiest day a good one.

Keeping a positive mind frame can be challenging on some days but by focusing on the small things can make a huge difference. Here is a list of some of my small good moments that can occur any day:

1. Getting out for a morning walk.
2. Getting a parking spot in the closest lot.
3. Finishing my coffee while it's still hot.
4. Having a student ask a really good question during the lesson - especially one that makes me have to really think about the answer.
5. Finding a new gem of a lesson or an activity to try out in my classroom (usually from someone I follow on Twitter). My latest one is probably "Polygraphs" from Desmos.
6. Having my team already have set up the volleyball nets before I arrive at practice.
7. Laughing at least once (usually at myself for something that I said or did).
8. Hearing a student say "Wow, math was fun today!"
9. Getting out for a walk after dinner for some fresh air and thinking time.
10. Getting to bed before 11 pm!

Always looking for the positive ++++++++

6 comments:

  1. Nice list, thanks for sharing. PositivIt is key!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list, thanks for sharing. PositivIt is key!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding #4, I admit that sometimes I get a little upset when someone asks me a question that I can't answer right away -- but your post reminds me that it's a GOOD thing when they ask such questions, as it shows that they're thinking.

    As for #5, I've heard of Desmos, but I've never had the opportunity to see it used in any class. I'm looking back at your September post, which I assume shows Desmos. I can see why students can learn more about the graphs than using, say, a graphing calculator.

    As for #9, I assume that the students say "Math was fun" after you show them some sort of activity -- such as Desmos. I assume this is why you do Desmos in class. It's great when we have the technology available in the classroom and can use it.

    As an American, I enjoy reading about how math is taught in Canada and other countries.

    Thanks for participating in the MTBoS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your list! I think #2, 4, and 5 resonated with me the most. In fact, I chuckled a little at #2. I always feel like it's going to be a great day when I get a good parking space-- it's the little things right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your list! I think #2, 4, and 5 resonated with me the most. In fact, I chuckled a little at #2. I always feel like it's going to be a great day when I get a good parking space-- it's the little things right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list, Jen! Thanks for reminding us all that we need to take time to appreciate the small things that make each day better.

    ReplyDelete